Marketing and Communications intern
American Farmland Trust (AFT), a national nonprofit conservation organization, is seeking energetic, self-motivated interns to work with the marketing and communications department in Washington, D.C. AFT's marketing and communications department supports all programs throughout the organization including farmland protection, federal policy, state and local policy, agriculture and the environment, planning for agriculture and research. Interns will learn about policies and programs at all levels of government and the issues facing farmland protection and agriculture nationwide.
PROJECTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Project assignments will support the national office staff in analyzing and engaging target audiences through AFT's website, e-newsletters, media relationships, conferences and on-the-ground events. Responsibilities may include:
- Research and writing for the website and e-newsletters
- Assistance with strategies to grow audience segments
- Federal farm policy campaign communications projects
- Tracking and coordination of conference participation and leadership speaking engagements
- Communications support for field offices
- Tracking media coverage and supporting media relations
- Communications support for planning for agriculture services
- Helping maintain communications databases
Typically, internships involve 20-35 hours of work per week for at least 12 weeks.
At least one year of college. Interest in conservation, public policy, agriculture and/or food systems helpful. Some coursework in communications, public policy, agriculture, land use or environmental sciences preferred. Experienced and comfortable working in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and website publishing.
We have paid and unpaid positions.
Please e-mail your resume, writing sample and a cover letter explaining why you would like this internship to:
Digital Communications Manager
DEADLINE: We accept intern applications on a rolling basis as interns often extend their initial 12 week committment for multiple semesters.