Location: Washington, DC
American Farmland Trust is the only national organization that takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land itself, the agricultural practices used on that land, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.5 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres, and helped thousands of farm families make a go of it (primarily through programs that increase farm viability and/or enhance farmland access). Long a pioneering leader, AFT is now riding a new wave of growth, driven by agriculture’s most pressing needs and opportunities.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are inclusive. We embrace differences. We recognize and respect the fundamental value and dignity of all our employees. We celebrate the unique traditions, heritages, and experiences our employees bring to the workplace. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive culture that promotes and values diversity, and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, expression or identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Overview and Position Description
Reporting to the Controller, the Finance Manager is responsible for maintaining accurate accounting information in order to meet the needs of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Prepare organizational financial statements including analysis, in accordance with our established schedule and with input from the rest of the finance and administration department.
- Prepare the annual budget.
- Manage cash flows for the organization.
- Review monthly and quarterly account reconciliations to ensure accurate reporting and ledger maintenance.
- Supervise three staff accountants.
- Assist with the annual financial statement audit.
The ideal candidate is familiar with budget management and grants in nonprofits, highly detail oriented and organized, exudes leadership, feels confident reviewing reconciliations, analyzing statements and coaching staff, and possesses:
- Staff management experience.
- Thorough knowledge of all federal and state accounting regulations and reporting procedures.
- Thorough understanding of all accounting functional areas. Experience with accounting computer systems, software and applications including Intacct and Concur.
- Familiarity with Office365 including Excel, SharePoint & Teams. Financial Edge experience is preferred.
- Good customer service skills.
- High level of ethics, integrity, transparency, and trustworthiness. Keeps commitments, maintains confidentiality.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with individuals, teams and committees.
- Ability to translate financial concepts to individuals at all levels in the organization – including non-finance employees.
- Must have familiarity with federal & foundation funding arrangements and related items such as match requirements and overhead limitations.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration required. CPA and/or MBA highly desirable.
- 5+ years’ experience in a non-profit organization working with federal grants.
Why you should apply
- Be a part of a purpose-driven, committed, knowledgeable, high-performing, experienced and fun team
- A diverse and inclusive work environment
- A cause and mission you can be proud of
- Competitive compensation & Benefits
- Remote work opportunities
- Flexible scheduling
Ready to apply? If this job sounds like a fit for you, then click here.