Location: Washington, DC
American Farmland Trust is the only national organization that takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land itself, the agricultural practices used on that land, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. AFT launched the conservation agriculture movement and continues to raise public awareness through our No Farms, No Food message. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.5 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres, and supported thousands of farm families. Long a pioneering leader, AFT is now riding a new wave of growth, driven by agriculture’s most pressing needs and opportunities.
Learn more at www.farmland.org.
Overview and Position Description
The Accounting Supervisor is responsible for maintaining accurate accounting information in order to meet the needs of the organization. This position reports to the Controller. The ideal candidate will be very familiar with grant accounting and the federal award system. This supervisor should feel confident reviewing reconciliations and journal entries and coaching staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Prepare accurate, timely financial statements in accordance with our established schedule and with input from the rest of the accounting department
- Ensure the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating, and entering transactions.
- Review monthly and quarterly account reconciliations to ensure accurate reporting and ledger maintenance.
- Supervise accounting staff.
- Review journal entries and reports of staff.
- Assist with the annual financial statement audit.
- Prepare accurate and timely financial reports for internal management. Communicate monthly financial results to the program staff, informing them of the financial position of the project.
- Coordinate with the Controller to process journal entries to various projects.
- Ensure compliance of grants with AFT policies/procedures, donor rules/regulations including federal awards.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration required. CPA and/or MBA highly desirable.
- Highly detail-oriented and organized.
- Staff management experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in a non-profit organization working with federal grants.
- Thorough knowledge of all federal and state accounting regulations and reporting procedures.
- Thorough understanding of all accounting functional areas. Experience with accounting computer systems, software, and applications.
- Should be familiar with Office365. We heavily rely upon Excel, SharePoint & Teams. Financial Edge experience is preferred however we plan to transition financial systems soon.
- Customer service skills will be invaluable in this position.
- Strong, verbal, written, analytical and organizational skills.
- High level of ethics, integrity, transparency, and trustworthiness. Keeps commitments, maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and handle multiple tasks. Demonstrates thoroughness and success with detail work. Results-focused: maintains productivity with minimal direction and supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with individuals, teams, and committees. Ability to translate financial concepts to individuals at all levels in the organization – including non-finance employees.
Application Deadline: As soon as possible.
If you are eager to join our team, please visit this page to apply.
Please submit a cover letter with a resume for consideration.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and background. AFT offers a full benefits package.
American Farmland Trust provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the organization has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.