Location: Sacramento, CA
American Farmland Trust is the only national organization that takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land itself, the agricultural practices used on that land, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. AFT launched the conservation agriculture movement and continues to raise public awareness through our No Farms, No Food message. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.5 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres, and supported thousands of farm families. Long a pioneering leader, AFT is now riding a new wave of growth, driven by agriculture’s most pressing needs and opportunities.
The Manager of Institutional Partnerships (IP) acts as a crucial member of the development team, supporting the goals and objectives for American Farmland Trust’s robust and ambitious IP efforts, specifically including securing grants/contributions from foundations, and government sources. Reporting to the DC-Based Director of IP, this posting works closely with program colleagues, and provides grant-writing, research, and reporting support for the IP team and an assigned portfolio of AFT program areas. This position will be based out of our Sacramento, CA office.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Working in AFT’s office in Sacramento, this position will focus specifically on IP fundraising for AFT’s programmatic work in California and Washington State.
- Coordinates with the Director of IP, IP colleagues, and other Development and Program staff on the execution of IP strategy.
- Works with IP and Program staff to identify and research new funding opportunities.
- Manages the development and timely submission of letters of inquiry, proposals, and grant reports.
- Coordinates and implements fundraising donor meetings, and when appropriate, includes other IP and AFT program staff.
- Manages annual revenue targets and develops pipelines for future work.
- Participates, as needed, in program planning processes to provide insight to related fundraising opportunities.
- Significantly scales AFT’s success in soliciting and securing large grants from foundations and government prospects.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, and at least 2-5 years of experience in foundation, government, corporate, and/or individual fundraising.
- Demonstrated success in foundational, corporate, government, or individual fundraising at a significant level.
- Ability to skillfully manage the AFT relationship with high-level foundation officers, traveling as required to market AFT’s programmatic and fundraising opportunities.
- Critical and strategic thinker with a history of identifying and executing strategies with new institutional funding opportunities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and best practices associated with fundraising from foundations and government sources at non-profits and/or higher-ed.
- Demonstrated donor relations or related customer service experience a plus.
- Possessing high standards of integrity, credibility, and reliability to articulate the organization’s needs, opportunities, and aspirations with clarity and enthusiasm is required.
- Must have the ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communicator with demonstrable grant-writing skills.
- Raisers Edge and Convio experience preferred, general familiarity with CMS required; proficient in Microsoft Office and web content management and analytics.
- Be a demonstrated team player with a commitment to the mission, philosophy and values of American Farmland Trust.
- Must be organized, creative, pro-active, and detail-oriented with a strong ability to prioritize.
- Have sound judgment in maintaining the confidentiality of donor information.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills required.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience and background. AFT provides a full and generous benefits package.
If you are eager to join our team, please visit this page to apply.
Please include a cover letter with resume for consideration.
American Farmland Trust provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the organization has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.