Location: Fully Remote, Washington, DC
American Farmland Trust is the only national organization that takes a holistic approach to agriculture, focusing on the land itself, the agricultural practices used on that land, and the farmers and ranchers who do the work. Since our founding in 1980, AFT has helped permanently protect over 6.5 million acres of agricultural lands, advanced environmentally-sound farming practices on millions of additional acres, and helped thousands of farm families make a go of it (primarily through programs that increase farm viability and/or enhance farmland access). Long a pioneering leader, AFT is now riding a new wave of growth, driven by agriculture’s most pressing needs and opportunities.
We believe diversity drives innovation. We are inclusive. We embrace differences. We recognize and respect the fundamental value and dignity of all our employees. We celebrate the unique traditions, heritages, and experiences our employees bring to the workplace. We are committed to creating and sustaining an inclusive culture that promotes and values diversity, and where everyone feels empowered to bring their authentic selves to work every day.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, expression or identity, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, American Farmland Trust complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which we have facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Reporting to the Director of Annual Giving, the Membership Coordinator works with AFT’s direct mail consultants, and the fundraising team to ensure the smooth and timely facilitation of the membership program.
What You’ll Be Working On
As an integral part of the AFT Development team, the Membership Coordinator, working with the Director of Annual Giving and affiliated vendors, this position drives much of the day-to-day as it relates to direct mail production and membership services.
Specific duties include but are not limited to:
- Review and edit direct mail packages and newsletters;
- Import/export data files to/from the Raiser’s Edge donor database;
- Help manage caging service vendor to ensure accurate gift processing and timely acknowledgement of donations;
- Provide excellent customer service by promptly responding to mail/email/phone inquiries from members, donors, and prospects;
- Contact donors to resolve questions regarding their donations, or update expired credit cards for sustaining members;
- Help maintain donor database integrity by accurately updating donor records with information received from donors and caging vendor; and, assisting with data clean-up projects;
- Update monthly tracking and revenue reports, and prepare ad hoc reports.
- Approve and monitor vendor invoices;
- Working with others on the Membership team, assist with the Farmer Relief Fund financial assistance program, helping to ensure grant requirements are met; grant distributions are sent promptly; and inquiries are answered;
- Assist with other membership initiatives, including preparing Workplace Giving applications; helping develop Membership program collateral; generating occasional in-house mailings; among other tasks.
Occasional travel may be required for this position.
The Membership Coordinator, Direct Marketing must be entrepreneurial and a capable problem solver. The ideal candidate is highly motivated, creative, and possesses:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 1-3+ years of administrative experience; development, environmental, non-profit experience a bonus.
- Extremely detailed-oriented, proactive, and able to work efficiently and independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Possess a sincere commitment to personalized customer service.
- Experience with nonprofits, fundraising, direct mail production, and/or customer service, a plus.
- Possesses demonstrable time management skills; ability to multi-task and prioritize; and strives for success in meeting established goals and deadlines.
- Is technologically savvy and inquisitive; and skilled in Excel and Word; familiarity with Raiser’s Edge donor database software a plus.
- Team player that collaborates with colleagues but also can be self-directed.
- Has excellent writing and verbal communication skills and enjoys communicating with members and donors.
- Expresses enthusiasm; is well-organized; and is a quick learner.
- Has a commitment to the mission, philosophy, and values of American Farmland Trust.
Why you should apply
- Be a part of a purpose-driven, committed, knowledgeable, high-performing, experienced and fun team
- A diverse and inclusive work environment
- A cause and mission you can be proud of
- Competitive compensation & Benefits
- Remote work opportunities
- Flexible scheduling
Ready to apply? If this job sounds like a fit for you, then click here to apply.